I just ate a bowl of soup. Wow. I won’t publish the recipe I worked from, but if you have a Sprouts nearby, just get their free magazine and it’s near the back.
However, I made some fairly significant changes, so I’ll publish my version. Sound good?
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (you can use a variety, as I did, or button, portobella, shiitake, whatever floats your boat)
- 3-4 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed. Leave 1 can of beans whole; mush the others up with a potato masher or in your food processor until they’re kind of mashed but not pureed. Unless you want them pureed, in which case go for it.
- a pinch or two of powdered kelp
- soy sauce
- Bragg’s aminos
- a bag of baby spinach, washed and dried
Put everything except the spinach in a slow cooker, and cook on low for 4 or 5 hours. Add the spinach, and cook a little bit longer. The recipe said it makes 4 servings; we’ll get more than that out of it. It sounds simple, and it is, and it’s just amazingly good. My onions and celery are still a little crisp, which is a pleasant contrast in texture from the soft mushrooms. The broth was very savoury. Don’t know what else to tell you, but go make it. You’ll love it!