Put your music player on shuffle. Post the first forty songs that come up. Then answer the questions.
1. “Delicate” Damien Rice
2. “The Streak” Ray Stevens
3. “Brand New Day” Sting
4. “Call Me” Blondie
5. “Same Old Lang Syne” Dan Fogelberg
6. “Assassination of the Sun” The Flaming Lips
7. “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” Richie Havens
8. “Attitude Dancing” Carly Simon
9. “Lady of Shalott” Loreena McKennitt
10. “Friends Don’t Let Friends Dial Drunk” Plain White T’s
11. “Stand By Your Man” Dixie Chicks
12. “Happiness Is” Violent Femmes
13. “When I Fall” Barenaked Ladies
14. “Summer in the City” Regina Spektor
15. “Can’t Get Enough of You Baby” Smashmouth
16. “Lonely Boy” Andrew Gold
17. “You Make Me Feel Like Dancing” Leo Sager
18. “That Time” Regina Spektor
19. “It’s All Been Done” Barenaked Ladies
20. “Hotel Song” Regina Spektor
21. “Small Blue Thing” Suzanne Vega
22. “Rocks and Water” The Weepies
23. “Fibre De Verre” Paris Combo
24. “Oh, Lonesome Me” Mary Chapin Carpenter
25. “20 Years of Snow” Regina Spektor
26. “So Into You” Atlanta Rhythm Section
27. “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” Green Day
28. “I’ve Got a Theory/Bunnies/If We’re Together” The Cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer
29. “Eskimo” Damien Rice
30. “Sunglasses at Night” Corey Hart
31. “Mama Tried” Randy Travis
32. “If You A Viper” Erin McKeown
33. “Can’t Hardly Wait” The Replacements
34. “Fields of Gold” Sting
35. “Gimme a Chance” Plain White T’s
36. “Write You a Song” Plain White T’s
37. “I Remember” Damien Rice
38. “Banks of Claudy” Loreena McKennitt
39. “You Can Call Me Al” Paul Simon
40. “Summer of ’69″ Bryan Adams
1. Which song do you prefer, 1 or 40? They’re such very different styles of song that you’ll get it when I say that my preference depends upon my mood.
2. Have you ever listened to 12 continuously on repeat? Nope. There are songs on my iPod that I do listen continously on repeat, but none of them popped up on this list.
3. What album is 26 from? One of those “Best-of” albums
4. What do you think about the artist who did 15? Meh. I like a song or two of theirs, but am not a huge fan of the band.
5. Is 19 one of your favorite songs?Actually, it is. That’s one of two BNL songs I’ll wander around singing.
6. Does 38 have a good message? If you’re as patient as Griselda, your patience will pay off. Well, and you have to be devotedly true, too.
7. Does 20 have better lyrics or music? I like the music better, but that’s me.
8. Do your friends like 3? As far as I know.
9. Is 33 from a movie soundtrack? As a matter of fact…
10. Is 18 overplayed on the radio? Not so much.
11. What does 21 remind you of? Getting the news that I had a lump in my breast and was going to have a biopsy, and rehearsals for “What Happened: A Play in Five Acts” and making art in the rehearsal area outside of Soleil’s flat, and drawing my lump and crossing it out. Mixed emotions.
12. Which do you prefer, 5 or 22? I don’t really have a preference here.
13. What album is 17 from? I’m going to take a wild guess here, and say it’s from one of those Best-Of CD’s again. Hey! I was a kid in the 70′s. Good times.
14. When did you first hear 14 ? After I heard “Fidelity” and figured anything Regina Spektor did had to be good.
15. When did you first hear 7? Oh, gosh, I was a kid. We lived in Georgia, and every now and then would go tour the old antebellum plantations. Seeing them, and hearing about the Underground Railroad, and stories of my ancestors, it all ties in together with how I feel about that song.
16. Do you listen to 8 a lot? Not really, but I like it.
17. Do any of your friends like 13? Not that I know of. I’m a crazy Barenaked Ladies freak, but don’t think my friends are so much.
18. What color does 4 remind you of? Yellow.
19. Have you ever blasted 11 on your stereo? Yes, but when Tammy Wynette did it and when I was much younger.
20. Who does 10 remind you of? L2, and I mean that in the best way
21. Can you play 37 on any instrument? I dunno–if I saw the music for it, I might be able to play it on the piano.
22. What is your favorite lyric from 30? “I wear my sunglasses at night, so i can, so I can watch you weave and breathe your story lines”
23. What is your favorite lyric from 34? You’ll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You’ll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold
24. Would you recommend 24 to your friends? Probably not. My liking for it has to do with the music I listened to as a little kid.
25. Is 23 a good song to dance to? Not really, but it’s great to sing along with.
26. Do you ever hear 16 on the radio? No, but I don’t listen to oldies radio very often.
27. Is 32 more of a nighttime or daytime song? Both. Listen to it and you’ll agree.
28. Does 36 have any special meaning to you? Yes, perhaps partly because I have a husband who writes me songs.
29. Is 31 timeless? It is if you like twangy country.
30. Is 2 a fast or slow song? Fast, and I’m really embarrassed it popped up on this list, because it’s a very odd, very dated song. I honestly don’t listen to it often. It’s one of those that I just uploaded the album into iTunes.
31. Is 35 a happy or sad song? It’s happy. Ish.
32. What is one of your favorite lyrics from 29? “”Brightness fills empty space in search of inspiration”
33. Is 25 better to listen to alone or with friends? Alone.
34. When did you first hear 27? No idea.
35. Name three other songs by the artist who did 6. “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” “Do You Realize” “Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell”"
36. Do you know all the words to 9? No, but I can fake it.
37. Does 28 have better lyrics or music? “It could be witches, some evil witches, which is ridiculous ’cause witches they were persecuted, Wicca good and love the earth and women power and I’ll be over here…” Lyrics, babe. Lyrics.
38. What lyric from 39 can you most relate to? A man walks down the street
It’s a street in a strange world
Maybe it’s the Third World
Maybe it’s his first time around
He doesn’t speak the language
He holds no currency
He is a foreign man
He is surrounded by the sound
Cattle in the marketplace
Scatterlings and orphanages
He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen! and Hallelujah!